We were the fortunate possessors of leftover lobster from the previous evening’s dinner. What to do with this largesse? Lobster rolls or salads seemed too tame, and ideally we wanted to create a meal for eight. Risotto! Creamy and delicious, it was a huge hit prepared by Lauren and Jesse, our two wonderful chefs in the family. Thanks guys!
Merletto Aqua bowls from Arte Italica were the perfect backdrop, shown with aqua seeded glass goblets and linen from Pottery Barn.
- • 8 c homemade chicken stock
- • 4 tbsp non-salted butter
- • 1 large Vidalia or sweet white onion, finely diced
- • 2 1/2 c Arborio or Carnaroli Rice
- • 1 c dry white wine
- • 1 bunch asparagus, sliced into 2" pieces
- • 12 oz lobster meat, chopped into 1/2" to 1" pieces
- • 2 tbsp non-salted butter in small pieces
- • 1 bunch of scallions, green parts only, sliced in 1/4" pieces
- • 1/2 c freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- Place the chicken stock in a saucepan and heat to simmer. Keep the saucepan at a low simmer throughout the risotto preparation.
- Steam the asparagus pieces for 1 minute and immediately place into a cold water bath to halt the cooking process and retain the bright colour. Drain and set aside.
- In a risotto pan or large skillet, heat 4 tbsp butter over low-medium heat, add the finely chopped onion and saute until translucent (about 3 minutes).
- Add the rice and stir until slightly toasted (about 2 minutes).
- Add the wine and stir until it is absorbed and the mixture appears creamy (about 3 minutes).
- Add the stock to the risotto pan, one ladleful at a time, stirring almost constantly. Be sure the stock is completely absorbed by the rice before adding the next ladleful (about 20 minutes in total).
- When the risotto is just a little underdone (it should be al dente), add the final ladleful of liquid, the reserved lobster meat and asparagus. Stir until the liquid is absorbed and the lobster & asparagus are heated through (about 3 minutes).
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter, the chopped scallions and parmigiano reggiano cheese. Stir well and serve immediately.