Apple season is upon us, and while I love all the braised, rich dishes that come with fall, a tangy, crunchy and fresh appetizer is always welcome.
This salad is from an old issue of Victoria Magazine (October 2014). I was intrigued by by the modern presentation of an old classic (minus, thank heaven, any reference to marshmallows – shudder).
The vinaigrette dressing is a creamy combination of buttermilk, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, shallots and fresh herbs. The recipe called for a whopping two cups, which I found excessive and cut back to one cup – still more than enough for us, but feel free to double up if you’re a true dressing fan.
The apples can be sliced and dressed in advance, leaving only the actual assembly of the salad to the end.
- 2 oz apple-cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp minced shallot
- 2 oz mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Fuji Apple
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 head frisée lettuce, washed and trimmed (you will have some left over)
- 1/3 c thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 c crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 c toasted walnuts
- fresh parsley and celery leaves for garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar and salt. Let the salt dissolve. Add the shallots and let stand about 15 minutes to combine the flavours
- Add the mayonnaise, buttermilk and honey, whisking to combine. Whisking constantly, add the olive oil and mix until smooth and creamy. Chill for at least an hour. Vinaigrette can be stored, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Using a sharp knife or mandoline, slice the Fuji apple and Granny Smith Apple approximately 1/8" thick. In a large bowl, combine the apple slices, approximately 1/3 c of the Creamy Apple-Cider Vinaigrette, salt, sugar and pepper. Toss to combine. Set aside.
- To serve, divide and layer apple slices, frisée, celery and 1/4 c goat cheese on 4 plates. Divide remaining 1/4 c goat cheese and walnuts among salads.
- Serve immediately with the remaining 2/3 c of dressing.
- Garnish with parsley and celery leaves, if desired.
I’m sharing this post with Between Naps on the Porch.