The “boys” in the family are always game to find a new cocktail recipe, and this wine-spiked Whisky Sour recently swam into their orbit as a worthy addition to the list of fun. It was Epicurious’ pick for “Comeback Cocktail of the Year” in 2013, likely related to Mad Men and their astonishingly broad and deep consumption of workplace cocktails. Boy, they knew how to drink in the 60s!
Without further ado:
- 2 oz rye or bourbon whiskey
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 1/2 oz fruity red wine (Malbec or Shiraz)
- Combine the whiskey, lemon juice and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker.
- Fill with ice, cover, and shake until the outside of the shaker is frosty (about 30 seconds)
- Strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice.
- Gently "float" the red wine onto the cocktail by pouring it over the back of a spoon held just above the drink's surface.
- Serve and enjoy!
I’m sharing this post with Between Naps on the Porch.