Eggs baked in a skillet atop smoothly melted leeks and tasty spinach for a weekend brunch. Such a healthy and virtuous main course just begs for a croissant, don’t you think? Add in a foamy latte and I’m in heaven.
Delectable baked eggs on melted leeks and sauteed fresh spinach. Perfect for a healthy brunch, and allows the indulgence of a croissant on the side!
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp chopped leek (white and pale-green parts only)
- 2 tbsp chopped scallion (white and pale-green parts only)
- 6 cups fresh spinach (6 oz)
- kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- pinch of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- Preheat oven to 325°. Melt the butter and oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add leek and scallion; reduce heat to low and cook until soft (about 10 minutes). Add spinach and lemon juice; season with salt. Increase heat to medium-high; cook, turning frequently, until wilted, 4–5 minutes.
- Transfer spinach mixture to two small cast-iron skillets or one 8″ skillet, leaving any excess liquid behind. Make a deep indentation in each small skillet, or two in the larger skillet. Carefully break 1 egg into each hollow, taking care to keep yolks intact. Bake until egg whites are set, 10–15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with a touch of smoked paprika and chopped oregano. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 2
I’m sharing this post with Between Naps on the Porch.