Thin slices of fennel mixed with peppery arugula support chunks of apple and toasted hazelnuts in this salad—perfect for the cold months. The citrusy dressing is made with juices of lemon and orange, with some orange zest for additional sunshine flavour.
- 60 ml or 2 oz freshly squeezed orange juice
- 15 ml or 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 10 g or 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 4 g or 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- ¼ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- 22 ml or 1 ½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 22 ml or 1 ½ tbsp hazelnut oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 230 g or 1 small fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 120 g or 1 large apple, peeled, cored and chopped into ½” dice
- 140 g or 5 oz. arugula, trimmed, washed, and dried (about 5 cups)
- 32 g or ¼ cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, lemon juice, shallot, orange zest, garlic and ½ tsp salt. Let sit for 20 minutes and then stir in the Dijon mustard. Whisk in the olive and hazelnut oils and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toast the hazelnuts in the oven, or in a skillet, stirring frequently. When cool, rub them together in a clean dishcloth to remove the skins. Chop coarsely.
- Put the sliced fennel, chopped apple and arugula in a large bowl. Toss with enough of the dressing to lightly coat the leaves (you may not need all of the dressing). Season with salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle with hazelnuts and serve.