This quick and easy soup can be on the table in under 30 minutes. While it may not have the depth of flavour of Roasted Vegetable Soup, the brevity and simplicity of the preparation have a lot going for it when you’re pressed for time and want something nutritious and delicious.
- 14 g or 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 800 g or 28 oz can or fresh, ripe tomatoes (4-6), seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 litre or 4 c chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 tsp each of fresh thyme and oregano (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 19 oz can of kidney or white beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks, celery, carrots and potatoes. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the leeks are softened (5 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, stock and seasonings. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to boil before reducing the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender (15-20 minutes),
- Add the herbs and adjust the seasonings. Finally, add the beans and serve.