- 360 g or 3 c all-purpose flour
- 300 g or 1½ c white sugar
- 100 g or 1 c brown sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 170 g or ¾ c butter, melted
- 180 g or ¾ c vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 470 g or 4 c apples, peeled and diced
- 65 g or ½ c pecans (optional)
- 60 g or ¼ c butter
- 200 g or 1 c packed brown sugar
- ¾ c whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 325°F or 300°F Convection Bake
Make the cake
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt. In a separate bowl, melt the butter, then add the vegetable oil and sugars and blend until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until creamy. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the apples and pecans.
- Spoon the batter into greased and floured Bundt pan(s) and bake for one hour if using a large pan, or approximately 40 minutes if using smaller pans, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan(s) for approximately 15 minutes, then remove from pan(s) and cool on rack.
Make the caramel sauce
- Melt butter and sugar over medium heat, stirring for about 5 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the cream, stirring as you bring to a boil. Simmer until the mixture is slightly reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Note: the mixture may look runnier than you’d like at this point, but don’t overcook or the caramel will get very hard as it cools. Drizzle over cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 60
- Serving Size: 10