A lovely side dish to stew or soup, Crumbled, it also makes a tasty topping for casseroles like Squash Lasagne.
- 150 g or 1½ c fresh or frozen corn kernels (about 2 ears of corn)
- 256 g or 2 c yellow cornmeal
- 195 g or 1½ c plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 50 g or ½ c sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 242 g or 1 c milk
- 1 jalapeno chilli, minced, including seeds
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 127 g or 4 oz unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well, breaking up any lumps with a whisk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs milk, jalapeno, bell pepper and corn kernels. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just blended.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl or saucepan. Pour the melted butter into the cornmeal mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just blended.
- Pour the batter into a 10″ springform pan or two loaf pans lined with parchment paper. Place in the middle of the oven and bake until the cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean (25 to 30 minutes). Allow to cool to room temperature before removing from pan.
You can also bake the cornbread in a parchment-lined half sheet pan. Cut out rounds to make tea sandwiches and crumble the remainder for a casserole topping. Delicious!
- Serving Size: 8