- 1 ½ tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 c chopped leeks, white and light green parts only (about 3 medium)
- 5 c fresh or thawed frozen peas, patted dry
- 1 medium Yukon Gold Potato (about 8 oz) peeled and cut into ½” cubes
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more if needed
- 5 ½ c chicken stock
- ¾ c sour cream, divided
- ¼ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/8 to ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- Heat butter in a medium pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add leeks and saute, stirring until softened (about 4 minutes). Add peas, potatoes and 1 tsp salt. Cook and stir a few seconds more. Add stock and bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook at a gentle simmer until vegetables are very tender (15-20 minutes). Do not overheat the soup or the peas will lose their bright colour.
- Purée the soup using an immersion blender, then run through a food mill at the smallest setting. This second step creates a velvety smooth soup, without the unpleasant sharp bits of pea shell. Whisk in ½ c sour cream. Then whisk in the nutmeg, cayenne pepper and any additional salt to taste. (Soup can be made up to1 day in advance; cool, cover and refrigerate. Reheat by stirring over medium-low heat.)
- To serve, ladle soup into 6 bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chives.
- Serving Size: Serves 6.