A deeply satisfying roasted root vegetable medley with crisp apples, crunchy almonds and Parmesan cheese shavings. Delicious.
- 1 lb parsnips (about 3 large), peeled and diced
- 1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 medium Gala apples
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese, shaved
- 1/4 c sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF Convection or 425º Regular.
- Prepare the vegetables, dicing them into 1/2″ pieces. Place them on two sheet pans. Drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and several grinds of black pepper. Toss to coat and then spread them evenly over the sheet pans. Roast them until tender and beginning to brown, tossing and and redistributing them a few times to ensure even browning (about 30 minutes in total).
- Meanwhile, fill a medium sized bowl will cold water. Add the lemon juice. Peel, core and dice the Gala apples. Add them to the lemon water to prevent browning while the vegetables are roasting. Set aside.
- Lightly toast the almonds. Peel the parmesan cheese. Set both aside in prep dishes.
- When the vegetables are done, thoroughly drain the apples. Combine the apples, roasted vegetables, half the almonds and half the parmesan cheese. Drizzle with the balsamic glaze. Toss to combine. Serve topped with the remaining almonds and parmesan cheese.
- Serving Size: 6