- 1 c (125 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder
- Large pinch of salt
- 1 c (200 g) granulated sugar plus 1 to 2 tbsp (depending on sweetness of plums)
- to sprinkle on top
- 1/2 c (115 g or 8 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 12 smallish purple Italian plums, halved and pitted
- 2 tsp (10 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 g) ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 325°F Convection.
- Sift or whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Cream the butter and 1 c sugar together in a large bowl with a hand mixer (or in a stand mixer) until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Add the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Spoon batter into an ungreased 9-inch springform pan and smooth the top. Cover the batter with the plums, arranged skin side up. Sprinkle the top with lemon juice, cinnamon, then the remaining sugar.
- Bake until cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into a center part of the cake comes out free of batter (about 45 to 50 minutes). Some plum juice may cling to your testing toothpick – that’s fine.
- Cool on rack.
- Feel free to grease & flour the springform pan if you’re concerned, but it’s not necessary.