- 6 tbsp (3 oz, 85 g) unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 head of broccoli, trimmed, stems and head chopped separately
- 6 c (1.4 litres) chicken stock, preferably homemade
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 c (235 ml) milk
- 1/4 c (1.3 oz or 37 g) golden mustard seeds
- Melt the butter in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent (about 5 minutes). Add the potato, broccoli stems and chicken stock. Cook, uncovered, until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes. Add the broccoli heads and cook until tender (about 5 minutes)
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender, or in batches in a regular blender. Stir in the mustard seeds. If you are serving the soup immediately, add the milk. If you are serving it later, add the milk just before serving and reheat.
- I always at least double the recipe, and freeze a few containers, adding the milk to the final product after defrosting and reheating.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Serving Size: 6