A traditional tart with dried cranberries, currants and nuts in a delectably sweet filling. A little goes a long way!
For the pastry crust (9″)
- 190 g (6 2/3 oz or 1 1/3 c) all-purpose flour
- 63 g (2 1/4 oz or 5 tbsp) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 140 g (5 oz or 10 tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 medium egg, beaten
For the filling
- 200g (7 oz) soft dark brown sugar
- 200g (7 oz) butter
- 40 g (2 tbsp) golden syrup
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- the grated zest of 1 lemon
- 150 g (5.3 oz) currants
- 75g (2.65 oz) dried cranberries
- 75g (2.65 oz) almonds, sliced or chopped
- 75g (2.65 oz) pistachio nuts, chopped
- 75g (2.65 oz) walnuts, chopped
- 100 ml (1/3 c) Scotch whisky
- whipping cream to serve
Make the pastry crust
- Place an oven rack in the lowest position. Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF or 325ºF Convection.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, and salt together in a medium-sized bowl. Add the melted butter and stir with a wooden spoon until dough forms (about 15 seconds). Using your hands, press two-thirds of the dough into the bottom of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press the remaining dough into the fluted sides of the pan. Press and smooth the dough with your hands to an even thickness.
- Place the pan on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet and bake on the lowest oven rack, until the crust is light golden brown and firm to the touch (20-25 minutes), rotating the pan halfway through baking. Remove the pan from the oven and brush the inside of the pastry with the beaten egg, return to the oven for five minutes until brown. Set aside until ready to fill.
Make the filling
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300ºF or 275ºF Convection.
- Melt the sugar, butter and syrup in a saucepan. Remove from the heat and whisk in the eggs. Add the lemon zest, fruits, nuts and whisky. Mix together and scoop into the pastry shell. (Warning – the tart pan will be filled to the brim; don’t be alarmed. It doesn’t bubble over, but subsides to a firm mass as the alcohol evaporates while baking. Just carry it carefully over to the oven and slide it in).
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until firm.
- Serve warm or cold, with whipped cream as a garnish.
- Serving Size: 10