For the Oleo Saccharum (Lemon Simple Syrup)
- 4 lemons
- 1/4 c sugar
For the Cocktail
- 1 1/2 oz Bourbon
- 1/2 oz of lemon oleo saccharum
- 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
- 3 + 1 basil leaves
- 2 oz ginger beer
- slice fresh lemon
Make the Oleo Saccharum (Lemon Simple Syrup)
- Using a vegetable peeler, zest the lemons into long, thin strips, avoiding the bitter white pith as much as possible. In a medium bowl, toss the lemon zest strips with the sugar until every piece of peel is thoroughly coated.
- Set aside for three hours or up to a day. The citrus oils will emerge from the peel and dissolve into the sugar, creating a syrup. Add a few tablespoons of hot water to dissolve any remaining bits of sugar. Strain the liquid into a small container, squeezing the peel to extract as much oil as possible. Keep for up to one week in the fridge.
Make the cocktail
- In a cocktail shaker with ice, combine the bourbon, lemon oleo saccharum, lemon juice and three basil leaves.
- Shake until well-chilled, then strain first through the shaker’s own strainer, and again through a fine mesh strainer into a tall glass with fresh ice.
- Top with two ounces of ginger beer and stir briefly. Garnish with a lemon wheel and a basil leaf, lightly bruised between your palms before adding to the drink. (to release the oils in the basil).
- Serving Size: 1