For the salad
- 4 Bell peppers (red, orange, yellow & green), tops & bottoms chopped to 1/2″ dice, middle sections reserved for Pork & Chicken Kebabs
- 1 pint heirloom or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 English cucumber, partially peeled and chopped to 1/2″ dice
- 8 oz Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 c Kalamata Olives
- 1/2 c red onion, sliced (optional) (about 1/4 of one large red onion)
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp (1/2 oz or 15 ml) fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1 tbsp (1/2 oz or 15 ml) white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tbsp (2 oz or 60 ml) olive oil
Make the dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk the sea salt into the lemon juice and vinegar; let stand until dissolved (about 3 minutes). Add the pepper, oregano and olive oil; whisk until throughly emulsified.
Make the salad
- Slice off the top and bottom of each peppers. Remove the stems and discard. Chop top & bottom to 1/2″ dice.
- Slice down one side of the middle section of each pepper. Gradually flatten the pepper by gently slicing each membrane at its base to release it with seeds intact; work around until all membranes have been removed and the pepper is flat and rectangular. Reserve for Kebabs. Discard seeds and membranes.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped peppers, cucumber, tomatoes and olives. Gently stir in the dressing. Sprinkle the feta cheese over top and serve.
- I always serve the red onions on the side so onion-lovers can add to their heart’s content and onion-haters don’t spend the meal picking them out surreptitiously.
- Serving Size: 8