A wonderfully decadent dessert with warm notes of pumpkin and caramel.
For the pastry
- 300 g (2 1/2 c) all-purpose flour
- 125 g (1 c) confectioners’ sugar
- 15 ml (1 tsp) kosher salt
- 284 g (10 oz) unsalted butter, softened
For the filling
- 506 g (1 15-ounce) can pumpkin
- 150 g (¾ c) firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
For the topping
- 283 g (10 oz) salted mixed nuts
- 1 12 oz jar spoonable caramel topping, such as Smuckers
- Preheat oven to 325°F Convection or 350°F regular.
Make the pastry shells
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse flour, confectioners’ sugar and salt until combined. Add the butter and pulse until dough begins to form.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange twelve 4″ tart rings or pans with removable bottoms onto the baking sheet. On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough evenly into 12 roughly formed balls. With lightly floured fingers, press each dough ball into the bottom and up the sides of the rings or pans. If you’re using fluted pans, use the blunt end of a chopstick to push the dough into the curves. Place the shells in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Make the filling
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, brown sugar, salt and spices. Add the eggs and evaporated milk, whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon the pumpkin mixture into the prepared pastry shells. Bake until the centres are set (25 to 35 minutes). Let cool completely on wire racks. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 2 days.*
- Before serving, mix the nuts with enough spoonable caramel topping to coat the nuts (about half a jar) Spoon over the tarts.
- *The tarts can be frozen at this point if you want to have some in reserve for another occasion. Simply remove them from the freezer about an hour before you wish to serve them and top with the nut mixture tossed with caramel at that time.
- Serving Size: 12