A luscious combination of crunchy edges and a moist, chewy centre, this delectable cookie melds the spices of ginger and cinnamon with orange zest.
- 170 g (6 oz or 1 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 150 g (6 oz or 3/4 c) granulated sugar
- 50 g (2 oz or 1/4 c) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 80 g (2 oz or 1/4 c) molasses
- 4 tsp grated orange zest (rind from one large orange)
- 12 g (15 ml or 1 tbsp) grated gingerroot
- 240 g (16 oz or 2 c) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 55 g (2 oz or 1/4 c) crystallized ginger, roughly chopped
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter with the sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Add the molasses, orange zest and gingerroot and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Add to the butter mixture in two potions, beating well and scraping down the bowl and paddle after each addition.
- Cover the dough and chill for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Shape into 1″ balls with a small piece of candied ginger in the centre of each ball, placing them 2″ apart on baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until edges are firm. Remove to cooling racks.