- 225 g (8 oz) all-purpose flour
- 10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 55 g (2 oz or 4 tbsp) butter
- 50 g (2 oz) sharp Cheddar, grated
- 175 ml (6 fl oz) milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F or 375°F Convection. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or rub it into the flour mixture with your fingers. Stir in the cheese.
- Add the milk to the dry ingredients and mix to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat into a round about 2.5 cm or 1” thick. Cut out 10 rounds using a 2” biscuit cutter or juice glass. You may need to do this in a couple of stages, kneading together the rest of the dough and cutting out more scones to use up all the dough. Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
Adapted from BBC Good Eats