Crisp but tender, these delicious biscotti are packed full of chewy cranberries and salty pistachios, with just a hint of orange.
- 90g or 1/3 c unsalted butter
- 240 g or 2 c all-purpose flour, divided
- 133 g or 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 133 g or 1 1/2 c pistachios, finely chopped
1 tsp orange zest (zest from about 1/3 a large orange)
50 g or 1/3 c dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, combine half the flour with the sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add the flour mixture, eggs and vanilla. Beat until creamy and smooth (about 2 minutes). Add the remaining flour, nuts, orange zest and cranberries. beat until combined (about 1 minute).
- Flour your hands. Divide the dough in half, shaping each half into a log about 9″ by 3″. Place the logs about 4″ apart on the rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until golden (about 25 minutes). Remove the logs to a cooling rack and let cool (about 30 minutes). Retain the baking sheet and parchment. Lower the oven temperature to 325ªF.
- Using a serrated knife, cut each log diagonally into slices about 1/2″ thick. Place slices ay slices back on the baking sheet and bake until light brown (about 10 minutes). Turn the slices over and return to the oven until crisp and dry (about 8 to 10 minutes)
This recipe is very versatile. Feel free to substitute almonds or hazelnuts for the pistachios. or lemon zest for the orange. You can leave out the fruit entirely and drizzle chocolate over the cooled biscuits.