- 112 g or 4 oz butter
- 112 g or 4 oz brown sugar
- 112 g or 4 oz Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 112 g or 4 oz Lyle’s Black Treacle
- 1 large egg
- 150 ml or 5 oz milk
- 112 g or 4 oz all-purpose flour
- 112 g or 4 oz whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Grease and line a 7 x 7” square baking with parchment paper.
- In a medium pan over low heat, melt the butter, brown sugar and syrups. Allow to cool slightly. Alternatively, microwave the butter in a medium bowl until melted and stir in the sugar and syrups until well combined.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, beat the egg and milk together.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt and spices. Add the butter and milk mixtures and beat until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the tin and smooth the top with the back of a spoon or a spatula. Bake until well risen and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean (40 minutes).
- Cool the gingerbread in the tin (5 minutes) then turn out and peel off the parchment. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight tin. Flavour improves with keeping and is best after the first 2-3 days
Adapted from Mary Berry