A colourful mixture of heirloom beans is the base for this light yet hearty soup. The lentils and pearl barley cook down and thicken the broth, while the larger beans are delicately cooked to tender perfection. The combination is terrific.
- 1 c Paris Bistro Blend or similar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh or ½ tsp dried thyme
- 4 c chicken stock
- 227 g or 8 oz diced ham or shredded chicken
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Generously cover the beans with water and soak overnight. Rinse and drain.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil and butter. Sauté the onion until translucent (3 minutes). Add the carrots and celery and sauté (3 minutes).
- Add the drained beans, thyme, chicken stock and enough water to cover the beans by 2”. Reduce the heat and simmer until the beans are tender (45 minutes to 1 hour).
- Add the chicken or ham and warm through. Add the lemon juice. Adjust seasonings and serve.
Adapted from Zursun Paris Bistro Soup package.