For the shortcake:
- 180 g or 1½ c all-purpose flour
- 67 g or 1/3 c granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 88 g or 3 oz unsalted butter, cold, in ½” cubes
- 270 ml or 9 oz buttermilk
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 25 g or 1 tbsp raw sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Convection or 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the cold butter to the flour mix and pulse until the mixture has very small lumps, no bigger than a pea (about 6 pulses). Add the buttermilk and vanilla and pulse until the machine rumbles, and the dough has come together (about 6 pulses). Do not overmix.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured board and gently shape it into a circle about 2″ thick. Cut out as many circles as you can using a 3 or 4″ biscuit cutter, reshaping the dough once or twice. Use a light touch – don’t overhandle the dough. Place the biscuits on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the top of the biscuits with a tablespoon of raw sugar and place in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Cool completely before slicing in half and serving with whipped cream and sliced strawberries.