- 127 g or 4 oz unsalted butter, softened
- 127 g or 4 oz dark brown sugar
- 112 g or 6 tbsp Lyle’s Black Treacle
- 170 g or 6 oz all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 150 ml or 4 oz milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Just before filling, spray the cavities of the Harvest Mini Loaf pan with good-quality baking spray.
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter, sugar and treacle, stirring until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and spices. Add the butter mixture and stir thoroughly to combine. Beat in the eggs.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, gently warm the milk. Stir in the baking soda (it will foam a bit). Add to the gingerbread mixture and mix until thoroughly blended.
- Fill the cavities of the prepared mini-loaf pan.
- Bake until a skewer inserted into the centre of a cake comes out clean (about 20 minutes). Let cool slightly before removing the loaves from the pan.
These loaves are even better if allowed to mature for a few days. This may involve hiding them in a safe place, away from spouses and children. Good luck with that!
Adapted from a recipe by Mary Berry.