- 14 g or 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 800 g or 28 oz can or fresh, ripe tomatoes (4-6), seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 litre or 4 c chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 tsp each of fresh thyme and oregano (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 19 oz can of kidney or white beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks, celery, carrots and potatoes. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the leeks are softened (5 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, stock and seasonings. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to boil before reducing the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender (15-20 minutes),
- Add the herbs and adjust the seasonings. Finally, add the beans and serve.