For the cake
- 25 g or ¼ c confectioners’ sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
- 90 g or ¾ c all-purpose flour
- 2.5 ml or ½ tsp baking powder
- 2.5 ml or ½ tsp baking soda
- 10 ml or 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 100 g or 1 c granulated sugar
- 150 g or 2/3 c pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
For the filling
- 227 g or 8 oz cream cheese (original, not whipped)
- 100 g or 1 c confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 81 g or 3 oz unsalted butter
- 5 ml or 1 tsp vanilla extract
Make the cake
- Have all the ingredients at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Line a 15 x 10-inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; spray the parchment with a good-quality, flour-based baking spray.
- Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and granulated sugar until thick. Beat in the pumpkin. Add the flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Using a large offset spatula, spread the batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake until the top of the cake springs back when touched (13–15 minutes). Immediately loosen the cake and turn it onto the prepared towel. Carefully peel off the parchment paper. Roll up the cake and towel together, starting with the narrow end. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.
Prepare the filling and assemble the cake
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, butter and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Carefully unroll the cake. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake and carefully reroll the cake.
- Wrap securely in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with additional confectioners’ sugar.
Adapted from Libby’s Pumpkin Roll.