For the Brownie Bowls
- 120 g or 1 c unbleached all-purpose flour
- 57 g or 2/3 c dark cocoa (preferably King Arthur Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa, or use 50:50 regular cocoa and black cocoa)
- 300 g or 1 ½ c granulated sugar
- 57 g or ½ c confectioners’ sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 99 g or ½ c vegetable oil
- 28 g or 2 tbsp hot water or brewed coffee
- 3 large eggs
For the Orange Curd
- 6 large egg yolks
- 150 g or ¾ c granulated sugar
- Zest of one large orange
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 147 ml or 5 oz fresh orange juice
- 118 ml or 4 oz fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 162 g or 6 oz unsalted butter, cut into small chunks, cold
For the Orange Mousse
- 250 ml or 1 c heavy cream
- 20 g or 3 tbsp confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 340 g or 1 c orange curd (above)
- Orange jelly fruit slices
Make the Brownie Bowls
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugars and salt.
- Add the oil, water or coffee, and eggs; mix until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the cavities of the pan (each holds about 6 tbsp).
- Bake until the brownies are firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean (25–30 minutes)
- Cool on a rack before removing from the pan (10 minutes).
Make the Orange Curd
- In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk the yolks, sugar, zests and juices and salt until combined. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or heat-proof spatula, scraping down the sides of the pan until the mixture is thick (8 to 10 minutes).
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the butter, one piece at a time, stirring until smooth. Strain through a finely meshed sieve into a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the curd to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled and very firm (at least 2 hours).
Make the Mousse
- Just before serving, prepare the mousse.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream and the confectioners’ sugar on high until soft, billowy peaks form (about 3 minutes). Gently fold the orange curd into the whipped cream.
- Pipe or spoon the mousse into the brownie bowls and serve. Garnish with orange jelly fruit slices (optional).