For the crust
For the filling
- 1 kg or 4 c plums, sliced thinly
- 100 g or ½ c light or dark brown sugar
- 11 g or 1 tbsp crystallized ginger, chopped
- 21 g or 2 tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp lemon oil or ½ tsp lemon extract
For the streusel topping
- 90 g or ¾ c unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 150 g or ¾ c granulated sugar
- 85 g or 3 oz butter, cold, cut into pats
- ¼ tsp ginger
Make the filling
- Combine the plums, brown sugar, candied ginger, tapioca, cinnamon, ginger, and lemon extract.
- Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes at room temperature so the fruit can macerate.
Make the streusel topping
- Combine the flour, sugar, and ginger. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
Assemble the pie
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Brush the inside of the unbaked pie crust with some slightly beaten egg white.
- Spoon the filling into the crust and top with the streusel topping.
- Place the pie plate on the prepared baking sheet and transfer it to the oven. Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown (50 minutes to 1 hour), protecting the edge of the crust partway through baking if it is browning too rapidly.
- Serve the pie warm or at room temperature, topped with whipped cream or ice cream.
Adapted from King Arthur Baking.