Nothing says good morning like the scent of freshly baked cinnamon apple muffins—especially when they’re topped with a crunchy coating of cinnamon sugar.
They’re quick to whip up, too. Most of us have a few apples kicking around in the fridge—any type will do.Print
Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
Light and tender, these delicious breakfast treats are studded with apple chunks and topped with a crunchy cinnamon sugar topping. An indulgence, for sure. But once in a while, perfect.
- Yield: Makes 12 muffins. 1x
For the muffins
- 240 g or 2 c all-purpose flour, plus 1 tbsp
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, plus ½ tsp
- 235 g or 2 c apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 114 g or 4 oz unsalted butter, softened
- 200 g or 1 c granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 121 ml or ½ c milk
For the topping
- 57 g or 2 oz unsalted butter, melted
- 50 g or ¼ c granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
Make the muffins
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare a 12-cup muffin tin with butter
and flour, or if using a good-quality baking spray, apply just before
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and
- In a medium bowl, sift together 1 tbsp flour and ½ tsp cinnamon.
Toss the diced apples in it to coat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment,
beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (3 minutes). Add
the eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions (1 minute
each). Add the vanilla.
- Beat in the flour and milk alternately, beginning and ending with
flour. Scrape down the bowl. Fold in the apples.
- Fill the prepared muffin tin, each cavity about 2/3 full.
- Bake until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the middle comes out
clean (30 minutes). Let cool for 10 minutes before removing it from
the tin and placing it on a rack.
- In a small bowl, mix together the granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Place the rack of muffins over a rimmed baking sheet to catch any
drips of butter and excess sugar topping.
- Brush the top of each muffin with butter and sprinkle with the
- Let cool completely.
Adapted from Add a Pinch.