This recipe from Sunday Soup by Betty Rosbottom is fabulous. As described, “it is a luxuriously smooth soup with a sophisticated taste”. The humble cauliflower really shines here, and the crispy prosciutto slices provide a salty counterpoint. Delicious.
I tried this out on the family the first time I made it. I prepared the prosciutto and left it on the back of the counter to garnish the soup later. When it came time to serve, the prosciutto had vanished. Burton, one of our golden retrievers had hoovered it back in a swift and stealthy counter-cruising move. I quickly made some more, casting darkling looks toward the perp.Print
- • 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- • 2 c chopped leeks, white & light green parts only (4-5 leeks)
- • 12 c cauliflower florets (from 2 large heads; about 2 pounds each)
- • 8 c chicken stock
- • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- • 1 c grated Parmesan cheese
- • ½ c creme fraiche
- • kosher salt
- • 4 oz thinly sliced prosciutto
- • 1 tbsp olive oil
- • ½ c chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large, lidded stock pot. Add the leeks and saute, stirring, until soft and fragrant, 4-5 minutes. Add the cauliflower florets, chicken stock and cayenne pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cover pot. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender or food processor. Whisk in ½ c of the cheese and the creme fraiche. Taste soup and season with salt, as needed. (The soup can be made up to 2 days in advance; cool, cover and refrigerate. Reheat over medium heat).
- Cut the prosciutto into julienne strips, 3-4 inches long and ¼’ wide. Heat the olive over medium heat in a medium skillet. When hot, add the prosciutto and saute, stirring constantly, until crisp and browned, 4-5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer prosciutto to paper towels to drain.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle each serving with some prosciutto, chopped parsley and the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Serving Size: 6