This delicious soup can be made in a number of different ways, so don’t be afraid to add whatever extra vegetables you have on hand for roasting. I’ve made it with butternut squash, pumpkin, broccoli or cauliflower, in addition to the carrots, celery and fennel called for below. You can use canned kidney, navy or cannellini beans if you run out of time to cook them yourself. It’s an extremely forgiving recipe!Print
Roasted Vegetable Soup
A hearty, nourishing and very versatile soup. The epitome of fall.
To prepare the beans
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans, sorted through and rinsed
- 1 carrot, cut into several pieces
- 1 rib celery, cut into several pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, unpeeled, cut into quarters
For the soup
- 1 large bulb fennel, quartered, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 28-oz. can Italian tomatoes
- 4 c chicken stock
- 1/2 bunch kale, trimmed and roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- several sprigs of fresh thyme
- In a large ceramic or glass bowl, cover the cannellini beans with several inches of water. Soak overnight.
- In a 6-quart pot, simmer the drained beans, carrot, celery and onion until tender, but slightly al dente (1-2 hours, depending on how fresh the dried beans are).
- Heat the oven to 450°F (400°F convection).
- In a large bowl, toss the fennel, sweet potatoes and carrots with about 2 tbsp of the oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast, tossing after 10 minutes and every 5 minutes thereafter, until the vegetables are nicely browned and tender when pierced with a fork (30 minutes).
- In a large stockpot, sauté the onions in the remaining oil until translucent. Add the celery, and sauté until slightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, crushing them with your hands or the back of a spoon. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken stock, all of the roasted vegetables, the cooked cannellini beans, the sprigs of thyme and the chopped kale. Bring back to a brisk simmer, turn the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Thin with water, if necessary, to get the consistency you like. Adjust the seasonings. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 8