Easy to whip up and not too filling, this colourful appetizer is a crowd pleaser. Perfect for a little nosh before dinner.
A quick and savoury appetizer with silky caramelized peppers and onions on a bed of tangy goat cheese, served on crisp baguette slices.
- 4 bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 8 oz herbed chevre, at room temperature
- 1 baguette, cut on the diagonal into 1/2” slices
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil and sauté the onions and peppers. Cook, stirring every few minutes, until onions are caramelized and peppers are tender and slightly browned, (15 – 20 minutes). Season with salt & pepper and sprinkle with the fresh thyme.
- Toast both sides of the sliced baguette slices under the broiler until lightly golden. Allow to cool a bit before spreading with the herbed goat cheese. Top with a generous portion of the peppers & onions and serve.