I adapted this from a recipe I came across many years ago (20??) in an issue of Victoria Magazine. Don’t be daunted by the number of steps. The roasted tomatoes look after themselves, and you can substitute lightly toasted, thinly sliced baguette if the puff pastry seems like too much bother.
Either way, it makes an elegant and flavourful starter course. It always receives rave reviews.
- 12 plum tomatoes, roasted (makes 24 halves)
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 16 extra-large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- ½ c plus 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 oz white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 4 bocconcini, each sliced thinly
Make the Roasted Tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Slice the tomatoes lengthwise and place cut side up on an oiled rimmed baking sheet or gratin dish, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Bake until cooked and concentrated, but still retaining their shape, albeit collapsed (2½–3 hours). Let cool to room temperature.
Make the Puff Pastry Rectangles
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Cut out four 6 x 3” rectangles from the sheet of pastry and place the prepared baking sheet. Prick the pastry with a fork, cover with another sheet of parchment paper and another baking sheet, to keep the pastry flat while baking.
- Bake until mostly cooked (15–20 minutes). Remove the top baking sheet and parchment paper and cook until golden (10 minutes), Transfer the pastry to a rack to cool.
Cook the Shrimp
- In a skillet over moderate heat, heat 2 tbsp olive oil until hot. Add the shrimp, salt and pepper and saute until pink and firm (about 2 minutes).
Make the Vinaigrette
- Combine the ½ c olive oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt & pepper in a small lidded container and shake vigorously until combined, or place all ingredients in a small bowl and blend with an immersion whisk.
Assemble the tarts
- Arrange two tomato halves on each plate, and top with a pastry rectangle. Alternate four bocconcini slices and roasted tomato halves on top of each rectangle. Top with four shrimp and garnish with fresh basil. Drizzle plate with vinaigrette.
- The tomatoes can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the fridge, which reduces your overall preparation time on the day you wish to serve the dish.
- Prep Time: 30
- Serving Size: Serves 4.