Kebabs are a colourful and flavourful member of the grilling menu. Easy to throw together, they’re infinitely versatile and pretty darned healthy, too. If you make Greek Salad at the same time, you can use up all the peppers. Add in some olive bread and tzatziki for a terrific meal.
An easy, delicous and colourful addition to any grilling menu. Simply marinate the meat for a while, then slip it onto wooden skewers with tomatoes, onions and peppers.
For the Kebabs
- 1 lb pork loin, cut into 2” cubes
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2” cubes
- 1 pint heirloom or grape tomatoes
- 4 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow & green), centre sections cut into 2″ squares (tops and ends can be chopped for Greek Salad)
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into 2” squares
For the Marinades
- 1/8 c (2 tbsp or 30 ml) lemon juice
- 1/8 c (2 tbsp or 30 ml) white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 c (4 oz or 120 ml) olive oil
Make the Marinade
- In a medium bowl, dissolve the salt in the lemon juice and vinegar (about 5 minutes). Whisk in the remaining ingredients until thoroughly emulsified. Set aside 1/4 c of the marinade to brush the kebabs whilst on the grill.
- Place the chicken and pork in two separate large ziplock bags. Pour half the remaining marinade into each bag, seal and turn the contents to ensure all the meat is coated. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, preferably several hours.
Make the Kebabs
- Working with chicken and pork separately, drain the meat and discard the marinade.
- On each pre-soaked skewer, alternate pieces of onion, pepper, tomatoes and pork or chicken until the skewers are full (about 4 iterations). I tend to use pepper, onion, meat & tomato in order, then repeat; it “anchors” the meat and protects the more delicate tomato.
- Grill the kebabs for about 10 minutes over medium heat, turning frequently and basting with reserved marinade as needed.
- If you’re using long wooden skewers, soaking them in water for 30 minutes before assembling the kebabs makes life easier on two fronts: the kebabs are easier to assemble, and the skewers don’t burn as easily on the grill.
- Serving Size: 8