We recently enjoyed an Apple-Brined and Hickory-Smoked Turkey on the BBQ. Not only is the cooking process fast and easy, the meat takes on a a marvellous smoky flavour. Even after everyone had stuffed themselves to capacity, we had a bunch of meat left over, so I made a turkey stew with it, freezing the portions in individual containers. There is nothing like having your own personal bowl of comfort when the sniffles threaten, or you’ve had “one of those days”. I made Cornbread with Red and Jalapeño Peppers to go along with the stew – a delicious accompaniment.Print
A delicious home for leftover turkey!
- • 1 large onion, chopped
- • 1 tbsp olive oil
- • 3 celery stalks, chopped
- • 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- • 1 garlic clove, minced
- • ¼ c instant-blending flour
- • 4 c chicken or turkey stock
- • 4 large red potatoes, peeled and diced into ½” pieces
- • 1 tbsp olive oil
- • 1 c sliced cremini mushrooms
- • 1 tsp kosher salt
- • ¼ c white wine
- • 4 c leftover turkey, cut into ½” pieces
- • 1 c green peas, defrosted if frozen
- In a large braising pot (cast iron or other heavy-bottom) over medium heat, warm 2 tbsp of olive oil and saute the onion until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the carrots, celery and garlic and saute until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir until well coated, about 2 minutes. Add the stock and stir until slightly thickened. Add the potatoes and let simmer, partially covered, another half an hour, or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Meanwhile, In a 10” frypan over medium heat, warm 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the mushrooms and sprinkle with salt. Stir until the liquid is released, then let them simmer, stirring infrequently until they brown, about 10 minutes. Do not overstir or they will not brown. When they are well browned, add the white wine to deglaze the pan and continue stirring until it is largely evaporated. Add the mushrooms, green peas and leftover turkey to the stew and let simmer 10 minutes. Serve with biscuits or cornbread.
- Serving Size: 8