As summer’s heat begins to abate, light but substantial meals are welcome. Rich, hearty and tasty, this healthful fish is a snap to prepare, and with tomatoes at their peak, the best of ingredients are ready to hand.
- 15 ml or 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 120 ml or ½ c dry white wine
- 480 g or 3 c grape tomatoes, halved (quartered if large)
- 375 ml or 1 ½ c clam juice or chicken stock
- 90 g or ½ c pitted Kalamata olives,
- 4 skinless black cod (sablefish) or Pacific cod fillets (about 127 g or 4 oz. each)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 g or 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 50 g or ½ c pine nuts, lightly toasted
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant (1 minute). Add the wine and let simmer until reduced by half (2 minutes). Add the tomatoes, clam juice and olives. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes soften (5 minutes).
- Season the fish with salt and pepper. Add the thyme into the sauce; tuck in the fish and return to a simmer. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Simmer until the fish is just cooked through (about 4 minutes). Adjust the seasonings.
- Transfer the fish to 4 shallow bowls. Spoon the sauce over the fish, sprinkle with the pine nuts and serve immediately.
Adapted from Fine Cooking.
- Serving Size: Serves 4