This dish is exceptionally flavourful. Perfect for a chilly evening, the sauce reheats beautifully and is even better the next day. It’s adapted from Williams Sonoma Pasta.Print
Pappardelle with Chicken, Rosemary and Green Olives
Bursting with flavour, this dish is light and hearty at the same time. Quite a feat.
- Total Time: 120
- • 1 lb chicken legs with thighs
- • salt and pepper
- • 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- • 4 thin slices pancetta, chopped
- • 1 yellow onion, diced
- • 2 small celery stalks, diced, plus chopped leaves
- • 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- • 2 whole rosemary sprigs plus minced leaves from 1 small sprig
- • 1 bay leaf
- • 2 juniper berries, crushed
- • ½ c dry vermouth
- • ½ c chicken stock
- • 1 can plum tomatoes, chopped
- • ½ c green olives, pitted and halved
- • 1 lb fresh or dried pappardelle
- Season the chicken legs with salt and pepper. In a dutch oven or heavy flameproof casserole dish over medium heat, warm 3 tbsp olive oil. Add the chicken and brown well on all sides. Remove the chicken from the pan and drain off all but 2 tbsp of fat. Add pancetta to the pan and cook until crisp. Add the onion, celery and leaves, and carrot and saute until soft and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Add the rosemary sprigs, bay leaves and juniper berries and and saute for 1 minute. Add the vermouth and cook until reduced by about half. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes and a bit more salt. Bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the chicken is very tender, about 1 ¼ hours. Skim the fat from the sauce once or twice during cooking. Remove the chicken pieces and, when cool enough to handle, remove the meat and chop into small pieces, discarding the bones and skin. Return the chicken pieces to the pan.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Generously salt the boiling water, add the pasta, and cook until al dente, 10-12 minutes. Drain well. Put the pasta in a warmed, large, shallow bowl and add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the remaining rosemary leaves. Toss. Add the chicken mixture and toss again. Serve at once.
- Prep Time: 30
- Serving Size: 6