Roast beets are colourful and delicious. Incredible simple to make, they can be tossed in alongside whatever else you might have in the oven and used later in the week, as they keep beautifully for several days.
A beautiful salad for a starter, or even as a main course.
For the beets
- 4 to 5 beets, trimmed and scrubbed
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
For the vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the salad
- 4 oz (4 cups) mixed baby greens
- 6 oz. blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 oz pecans, lightly toasted
Roast the beets
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Line a small rimmed baking sheet with foil. Put the beets and a drizzle of olive oil in the center; toss the beets to coat. Fold the foil into a loose-fitting but tightly sealed packet around the beets. Roast the packet on the baking sheet until the beets are tender (about 1 hour and 20 min). Let the beets cool completely in the foil. When cool, use a paring knife to peel and slice the beets into wedges (six to eight per beet.) The beets can be roasted up to two days ahead and refrigerated.
Make the vinaigrette
- In a small bowl, combine the mustard, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Slowly whisk in the oil.
Make the salad
- Just before serving, distribute the mixed baby greens onto the salad plates. Divide the beet wedges among the plates. Drizzle the salads with the vinaigrette. Scatter the blue cheese and pecan across the plates. Serve.
- Serving Size: 8