Apple season is upon us, and while I love all the braised, rich dishes that come with fall, a tangy, crunchy and fresh appetizer is always welcome.
This salad is from an old issue of Victoria Magazine (October 2014). I was intrigued by by the modern presentation of an old classic (minus, thank heaven, any reference to marshmallows – shudder).
The vinaigrette dressing is a creamy combination of buttermilk, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, shallots and fresh herbs. The recipe called for a whopping two cups, which I found excessive and cut back to one cup – still more than enough for us, but feel free to double up if you’re a true dressing fan.
The apples can be sliced and dressed in advance, leaving only the actual assembly of the salad to the end.
Stacked Waldorf Salad
A crunchy, tangy, creamy concoction to celebrate fall’s apple harvest.
- Total Time: 20
For the dressing
- 60 ml or 2 oz apple cider vinegar
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp minced shallot
- 57 g or 2 oz mayonnaise
- 15 ml or 1 tbsp buttermilk
- 1½ tsp honey
- 1½ tsp chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 90 ml or 3 oz extra virgin olive oil
For the salad
- 1 Fuji Apple
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 head frisée lettuce, washed and trimmed (you will have some left over)
- 1/3 c thinly sliced celery
- 85 g or ½ c crumbled goat cheese
- 75 g or ½ c toasted walnuts
- fresh parsley and celery leaves for garnish
Make the dressing
- In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar and salt. Let the salt dissolve. Add the shallots and let stand about 15 minutes to combine the flavours.
- Add the mayonnaise, buttermilk and honey, whisking to combine. Whisking constantly, add the olive oil and mix until smooth and creamy. Chill for at least an hour. Vinaigrette can be stored, refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Assemble the salad
- Slice the Fuji apple and Granny Smith Apple approximately 1/8″ thick with a sharp knife or mandoline. Combine the apple slices, approximately 1/3 c of the Creamy Apple-Cider Vinaigrette, salt, sugar, and pepper in a large bowl. Toss to combine. Set aside.
- To serve, divide and layer apple slices, frisée, celery and 1/4 c goat cheese on 4 plates—divide remaining 1/4 c goat cheese and walnuts among salads.
- Serve immediately with the remaining 2/3 c of dressing.
- Garnish with parsley and celery leaves, if desired.
- Prep Time: 20
- Serving Size: 4
I’m sharing this post with Between Naps on the Porch.
Yum. I’m making this on Sunday.