Remember when muffins were breakfast food? Before they began their Incredible Hulk transformation into a disguised cupcake? These Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are old-fashioned, moderately sized and not-too-sweet. No icing. They also contain Greek yoghurt, so they have a benefit of a small helping of protein to further polish their dietary virtue.
- 160 g or 1⅓ c flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 9 g or 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 57 g or 2 oz unsalted butter, softened
- 150 g or ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 214 g or ¾ c plain Greek yoghurt
- 5 ml or 1 tsp vanilla
- 12 g or 2 tbsp lemon zest (1 large lemon)
- 15 ml or 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (same lemon)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease or line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy (2 minutes). Add the eggs, Greek yoghurt, vanilla extract, lemon zest and juice and beat until combined (1 minute).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full with the batter. Bake until the muffins spring back lightly when touched, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (12-15 minutes).