The combination of sugar snap and English peas is crunchy and satisfying. Peppery notes of arugula with salty prosciutto add a savoury element to what would traditionally be a light spring salad. As good quality frozen peas and fresh sugar snap peas are readily available year-round, you can add this salad to your repertoire for a taste of spring on demand.
Sugar Snap and English Pea Salad with Prosciutto
Crunchy sugar snap peas combine with tender English peas, while peppery notes of arugula and salty prosciutto add a savoury element. Good quality frozen peas and fresh sugar snap peas are readily available year-round; you can add this salad to your repertoire for a taste of spring on demand
- Yield: Serves 4. 1x
- 15 ml or 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3g or ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 45 ml or 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 180 g or 1 ¼ c fresh or frozen English peas
- 340 g or 3 c sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 113 g or 6 c fresh arugula
- 113 g or 4 oz prosciutto, sliced thinly
- Fresh horseradish, grated
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and mustard. Gradually whisk in the oil until thoroughly emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a shallow skillet of water to a boil. Working in batches, flash cook the peas and sugar snap peas until tender-crisp (2 minutes per batch). Use a slotted spoon or spider to transfer to a bowl of iced water to halt the cooking. Drain and pat dry.
- Add the peas, sugar snap peas and arugula to the bowl with the dressing. Toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the salad between four plates and top with the prosciutto. Sprinkle with freshly grated horseradish.
Adapted from Coltivare, Houston, TX of Bon Appetit; March 2017.