This quick and easy soup can be on the table in under 30 minutes. While it may not have the depth of flavour of Roasted Vegetable Soup, the brevity and simplicity of the preparation have a lot going for it when you’re pressed for time and want something nutritious and delicious.
Fall Vegetable Chowder
This quick and easy vegetable soup is nutritious and delicious. Serve with a crusty baguette and a selection of cheeses for an easy weeknight meal.
- Yield: serves 8
- 14 g or 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 800 g or 28 oz can or fresh, ripe tomatoes (4-6), seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 litre or 4 c chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 tsp each of fresh thyme and oregano (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 19 oz can of kidney or white beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks, celery, carrots and potatoes. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the leeks are softened (5 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, stock and seasonings. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to boil before reducing the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender (15-20 minutes),
- Add the herbs and adjust the seasonings. Finally, add the beans and serve.
Made this yummy soup today while air was chilly and we had cloudy skies. Used chopped white onions since I didn’t have any leeks and subbed parsley for oregano because not every one likes the taste. Perfect for weekend brunch starter! Easy recipe. Kidney beans used this time. May try white beans next time.
The best part about this soup is how easy it is to substitute whatever vegetables or legumes you have on hand. So glad you liked it!