On a chilly day, sometimes you just want something hot, but not particularly filling. This tomato soup fits the bill perfectly. Very flavourful, it packs a lot of taste without weighing you down. And it’s a snap to make with ingredients largely to hand.
- 4–5 medium leeks, chopped, white and light green parts only
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Four 28-oz cans of Italian tomatoes
- 1 qt chicken stock, preferably homemade
- Fresh dill – 1/8 c chopped and some reserved for garnish
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Saute the leeks until just tender but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stock, chopped dill and salt. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender (or in batches in a regular blender). Adjust seasonings as required.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with crumbled or shaved cheddar (optional, but extremely tasty!). Garnish with sprigs of dill.
- Serving Size: 8