Looking for a no-fail starter for a dinner party? This colourfully fresh salad pleases foodies and veggie-haters alike. The juicy strawberries are the star of the show, but the supporting cast of grapes, melon, kiwi and avocado provides an intriguing combination of flavours and textures, enhanced by the pop of sesame and poppy seeds in the Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing. The topping of candied almonds is a testament to the adage that life is uncertain; eat dessert first.
For the Raspberry Dressing with Poppy & Sesame Seeds
- 60 ml or ¼ c olive oil
- 30 ml or 2 tbsp raspberry red wine vinegar
- 12 g or 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp each of poppy and sesame seeds
For the Candied Almonds
- 8 oz slivered almonds
- 50 g or ¼ c brown sugar
For the Salad
- 166 g or 1 c strawberries, sliced
- 160 g or 1 c cantaloupe, cubed
- 92 g or 1 c seedless green grapes
- 180 g or 1 c kiwi, cubed
- 150 g or 1 c avocado, cubed
- 163 g or Boston Lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces (1 head
- 50 g or ½ c Candied Almonds
Make the Candied Almonds
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, sauté the almonds and brown sugar until the sugar melts and sticks to almonds in clumps (5 minutes). Spread on the prepared rimmed baking sheet and break into pieces when cool.
Make the Dressing and Assemble the Salad
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for Raspberry Dressing with Poppy & Sesame Seeds.
- In a large glass bowl, combine the Boston lettuce leaves with the fruit. Just before serving, toss with the dressing. Sprinkle with the candied almonds.